Wednesday 9 July 2014

TROPICAL GREEN : Lychee + Coconut Ice Cream


I'm sorry for my long unexplained absence. All the blame can be directed towards these two very distracting fluff balls. But I can't stay mad, just look at them!



A few weekends ago, my girlfriends (that I mentioned in my Salted Caramel post) joined me for a very sugar-filled brunch with the following menu:


Cheese & crackers with a delicious Kasundi relish (that my dad's neighbour made)
Pandan waffles served with a Lychee and Coconut Ice Cream and last but not least 
Momofoku's famous Crack Pie.


Thanks to the girls for my amazing waffle maker, which they gave me for my birthday. It has been getting a good work out! And special thanks to Julia for giving me the Crack Pie kit all the way from New York! I understand why that it's called that - it was so addictive! I loved the oat-cookie crust and the golden-syrupy, sticky, buttery filling.


The Pandan from the waffles, the Lychee and Coconut were a beautiful flavour combination and didn't seem over-power each other. I achieved a good balance of lychee and coconut flavours by using half cream and half coconut cream.


Unfortunately lychees are not in season so I used tinned lychees, which worked well and still gave a strong flavour.



LYCHEE & COCONUT ICE CREAM


Recipe adapted from The Ultimate Ice Cream Book's Pineapple Ice Cream

Makes about 1litre

Ingredients:

  • 1 tin (approx. 500g) lychees, drained (Hint: why not save the juice for ice poles!)
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup milk
  • 3 large egg yolks
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • 1/2 cup coconut cream

Method:

  • Blend the lychees and salt until smooth.
  • Combine the sugar and milk in a medium-sized saucepan and heat on low, stirring until the sugar dissolves and the milk starts to boil.
  • Separate eggs and beat the milk mixture into the egg yolks.
  • Pour mixture back into saucepan and heat on low, stirring constantly with heat-proof spatula until the custard thickens slightly.
  • Remove from heat and pour the hot custard mixture through a strainer into a large bowl. 
  • Allow mixture to cool slightly, then stir in the lychee puree and creams. 
  • Refrigerate mixture until cold then use your ice cream maker on desired setting to process the mixture and churn.

1 comment:

  1. I missed out on the waffle, save some for me next time pleeeeese.....

    ReplyDelete